¿CFW con doble opción de arranque?, GameOS o Linux arrancand

El conocido desarrollador Graf_chokolo especulaba ayer en el blog de Xorloser sobre la posibilidad de crear un CFW con doble arranque (dual boot).

De esta forma, podríamos arrancar la consola desde GameOS o bien desde Linux. También incluso tener instalado un CFW 3.55 compartido con un 3.56 oficial, aunque esto último parece ser algo bastante más complicado de realizar.

A continuación os dejamos con la conversación mantenida para que podáis sacar vuestras propias conclusiones:

Pregunta:

@graf_chokolo, do you know if it is possible to launch a virtual flash off of an encrypted (or decrypted for that matter) HDD for recovery purposes.
The most basic of code would suffice, if we could boot linux we could access dev_flash0~3 and replace the files.
Just an idea, but the data signals do pulse when you turn the PS3 on when ‘completely’ bricked. How-ever USB000+ don’t, just thought it could be a service channel?

Respuesta:

@Estx
Yeah, it would be possible to redirect dev_flash to another HDD region, e.g. by patching Hypervisor’s storage subsystem. HDD has enough space for that.
And i figured out that the size of VFLASH region where 3.15 stored otheros.bld can be doubled and i will be able to store decompressed Linux bootloader otheros.bld on this VFLASH region It will simplify HV patching immensely, i do not need now to decompress Linux bootloader in HV. I will test it today and report back. There are 0×2000 extra unused sectors between the VFLASH region for otheros.bld and the next VFLASH region, so i can use those sectors and increase the size of VFLASH region for otheros.bld.
We could make a CFW by patching HV with dual boot option, either GameOS or Linux could be booted from HDD.

Pregunta:

Nice graf!
This makes it interesting – what about Dual-Boot : 2x GameOS with different firmware?
CFW 3.55 and OFW 3.56 e.g ?

Respuesta:

It’s not as easy as booting Linux from HDD or booting second lv2 kernel from FLASH. I don’t want to say it’s impossible but it’s very hard.
I updated now my partition table of VFLASH and incresed the size of VFLASH region where Linux bootloader is stored. After that i stored petitboot Linux bootloader on VFLASH successfully. Next step – patching HV at runtime and booting petitboot from HDD which will allow me to install a Linux distribution on a HDD region on my 3.41 PS3.

fuente: http://xorloser.com/
1 respuesta